On my blog, Ex Urbe, I write essays about history, philosophy, mythology, science fiction and fantasy, movies, comics, food, and other topics. I often discuss my research travel, especially my times in European cities including Florence and Rome. I also post travel photography, focusing on historic sights and art. Many of my essays are more casual examinations of topics I have been teaching or researching, ways of sharing my work in a lighter and more public setting than the classroom or academic books.
I have also just launched the Ex Urbe Ad Astra Podcast, jointly with my good friend and award-winning F&SF novelist Jo Walton. In it we interview fellow writers, historians, scientists, and other friends, discussing topics ranging from the craft of writing, to city planning and philosophy, to Martian geology, to gelato and other nifty topics. You can listen to it for free on Libsyn, on Apple Podcasts, on Spotify, and on YouTube, or support my Patreon to receive episodes in advance.
Recommended Ex Urbe Blog Entries:
- Black Death, COVID, and Why We Keep Telling the Myth of a Good Renaissance & Bad Middle Ages
- On Progress and Historical Change
- Machiavelli I – S.P.Q.F. (Begins Machiavelli Series)
- How to Spot Good Gelato from 15 Feet Away (see also my Gelato Atlas)
- Stoicism’s Appeal to the Rich and Powerful
- Sketches of a History of Skepticism (series)
- The Shape of Rome
- On Crimes and Punishments and Beccaria
- Campbell Award & Invisible Disability
- From Ada’s AMA: What’s the most effective way for someone today to encourage space exploration?
- “The Borgias” vs. “Borgia: Faith and Fear” TV series double review (accuracy in historical fiction)
- “Spot the Saint” Series
I also regularly post historical photos & facts on twitter as Ada_Palmer tagged either #historypix or #SomethingBeautiful
I also sometimes blog for Tor.com. There I write about fiction, the craft of writing, mythology, history, literature, television, and manga & anime.